Farm management is a sub-category of the AgTech sector. See all definitions of FoodTech and its categories here.
The “farm management” FoodTech category regroups startups assisting farmers in managing, organising and optimising all of the tasks on their farm, with data capturing devices or decision support software.
The farm management sector attracted more than €4 billion in the last ten years and is one of the oldest in the Ag/FoodTech area. Today, the ecosystem is mature with most of the companies well established and profitable.
Precision farming is a farming management concept based on measuring and analysing data from the field. It aims to increase the level of food production by improving decision-making, traceability and quality of farm products. AgTech startups are at the core of this agricultural revolution. They offer sensors (and IoT devices), drones and satellite imagery and software to farmers.
Precision farming is mostly developed in countries with large farms (US, Canada, Brazil…) but needs to expand into smaller ones as can be found in Europe, Asia or Africa.
Key startups to consider
- Indigo, the American unicorn, leader in this category
- Hummingbird Technologies, a British imagery analytics provider for agriculture players using AI
- XFarm (IT), Augmenta (GR): the European challengers in this category
- fieldin, an American-Israeli startup that helps crop growers manage and optimize pesticide applications and harvest activities.
- The British actor AGRIVI which provides tools for farms and supply chain management
DigitalFoodLab’s additional insights
- 27/08/2021 – Interesting reads of the week
Get in Touch
We work with our clients to identify and act on the best Foodtech opportunities
14 avenue de L’Opéra, 75001 Paris, France