Packaging is a sub-category of the Supply Chain sector. See all definitions of FoodTech and its categories here.
The “packaging” FoodTech category regroups startups developing smarter and more sustainable food and beverage packaging.
Smart packaging refers to solutions enabling the reduction of food waste while improving product shelf-life as well as promoting a clean way to create packaging, with less plastic and more biodegradable or compostable elements.
On the second point, there have been startups working in this field for a while, with a wide range of solutions. They offer biodegradable packaging solutions or even compostable ones.
However, the real disruption in the packaging world may come from solutions without packaging at all. With protective layers applied on fresh products (fruits, vegetables, but also meat or fish), or sensors in containers, some companies are reducing food waste and improving product shelf-life as well as reducing food costs.
Key startups to consider
- Tipa, the Israeli startup which developed a blended solution from plant and petroleum elements that decomposes under compost conditions.
- Lactips, a French company working on a biodegradable plastic-free polymer.
- Apeel, a California-based startup, which adds a layer to the surface of fruits and vegetables. This helps keep moisture in and oxygen out, which means produce lasts twice as long.
- Innoscentia, a Swedish startup, which has developed sensors that indicate the growth of bacteria in meat.
DigitalFoodLab’s additional insights
- 12/01/2022 – FoodTech predictions & bets for 2022
- 26/08/2021 – Summer recap: no break for FoodTech startups
- 10/06/2021 – Apeel raises $250M to become the first anti-foodwaste unicorn
- 11/06/2020 – Lactips, the edible French packaging startup raises €13M
Get in Touch
We work with our clients to identify and act on the best Foodtech opportunities
14 avenue de L’Opéra, 75001 Paris, France